It was great to see everyone at our October Thinking Maps Parent Workshops. I am very excited to continue having students participate in student led conferences on Thursday, November 16th. Students in first through fifth grade will be dismissed at 11:20 AM and kindergarten students will be dismissed at 11:40 AM on this day. Lunch and bus services will be provided. Here’s some helpful information about student-led conferences:
- A student-led conference is a conference with parents led by the student;
- The role of the classroom teacher is to facilitate the process;
- Students lead parents through a discussion of their work and established academic and social goals;
- The teacher will be facilitating several student-led conferences at one time;
- The role of the parent is to listen and ask their child to tell them more about what they wrote and why they wrote it.
We are continuing our partnership with E3Sports this year. This will allow students to be outside even during the winter months. Please note, Roger Platt, MD, Director of School Health for the New York City Department of Education, strongly recommends that children should be given the opportunity to play outside whenever possible. Unless it is snowing or there is ice on the playground, low temperatures should not be a barrier to outside play. Please dress your children appropriately. Make sure they are wearing their coats, hats and gloves to play safely outside during the cold weather months.
Please be sure to utilize the online components of our math and reading programs in the evenings, during the weekends and on days the school is closed. Please reach out to your child’s teacher if you do not have these passwords.
Thank you for the privilege of serving your children and thank you to all of the families and teachers for your hard work and dedication to the school community each and every day.